The Coconut Pearl
If your first reaction is like mine, you'll probably wonder what on earth I'm talking about... a pearl that's made in a coconut? And if you're like me, you're probably thinking someone is trying to take advantage of your gullible nature, and pull your leg... but indeed, it is a real thing! I have seen one with my own eyes, and held it in my hands.
Rumoured to be found in less than one in a million coconuts, the coconut pearl is said to be the rarest botanical gem in the world! And my friend has found one... in fact, he is in negotiations with a buyer to sell it for the equivalent of about 5 000 US dollars. Now this is a heck of a lot of money for an islander from Raja Ampat, but I have since done a little investigation online and found out that he may be getting ripped off... it's worth may be more like 60,000 Euro! (When he gets back to town I'll ask him if I can take a picture of his pearl to add it here.)
The way an oyster pearl is formed is much to same as the manner in which a coconut pearl comes into being - as a blemish. Some foreign object plants itself within the host and becomes the nucleus for the pearl. The host tissue/ organism recognizes this mass as a foreign irritant, and takes protective measures against it; the foreign mass is encased with matter secreted by the organism... which then develops into something valued...
A coconut pearl is spherical, and really does resemble a salt-water pearl with an amazing shine. Apparently, sometimes coconut pearls can be slightly colored, for example with a green, or slightly ecru tinge. Regardless, these gems are truly treasured, and are often set in gold and silver.
Not only are there questions as to whether coconut pearls really exist (some say that all the known occurrences of coconut pearls are fakes), but opinions about their origin (and thus their chemical composition) are varied. A common conclusion is that coconut pearls are a carbonate of calcium; others believe that it is a silicon compound (like an opal). What is certain is that they originate in the 'embryonic region' of the coconut - ie the 'eyes' of the coconut!
Now that I've seen one with my own eyes, I believe that real coconut pearls do exist. Whether they have the magical and medicinal powers they are said to possess, I have yet to receive first-hand proof! Like any truly rare object, they are said to have certain powers as talismans. The coconut pearl is said to expel negative energy and bring luck, and because it 'stimulates the personal magnetism of the person who possess the pearl', the coconut pearl also increases business dealings and guarantees social success!
If you're looking for me, I'll be combing the beaches of Raja Ampat cracking open coconuts...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment